Please click on the following link to download a copy of our LMG Appointment Guide 2016
The Appointment System Explained
We aim to meet the needs of all our patients by offering a flexible appointment system, the appointment options available to you are:
Pre-Bookable: A number of appointments are bookable up to 4 weeks in advance, these appointments allow you to book an appointment at a time convenient to you. They are often required for medication reviews and for medical issues of a non-urgent nature.
Same Day Appointments: A large number of appointments are available to book on the day by calling our appointment line from 8am. These appointments are with the available GP or an Advanced Nurse Practitioner on that day and not necessarily with the doctor of your choice. As Doctor’s availability can vary from week to week we recommend that you become familiar with more than one member of our medical team.
Role of Nurse Practitioners: Mrs Rosie Jones, Melanie Hayward and Elizabeth Earnshaw are Advanced Nurse Practitioners (ANPs). This means that they have done additional post graduate training to a Masters of Science level (MSc) to be able to diagnose illnesses, prescribe medications and refer on to hospitals. Should they feel they need a second opinion about a patient, from a doctor, they will arrange this for the patient at the time of the appointment.
The Nurse Practitioners run a same day service from the main surgery Monday to Friday. Receptionists can book patients in for an appointment with an ANP, from 8am on the day, by calling the Lichfield appointment number. This is a useful service for patients with urgent problems who feel they need to be seen that day.
Emergency Surgery Lichfield: These appointments are for patients to see a doctor on an emergency basis only, they are bookable from 8am on the day by calling the Lichfield appointment number.
Telephone Consultations: Some problems can be dealt with over the telephone, the receptionist answering your call may ask you some basic questions to determine this. A call back from a doctor or an ANP can be arranged if you require non-urgent
Home Visits: If you are too unwell to attend the surgery you can request a home visit, please try and call our General Enquires and Home Visit Line before 11am. When prompted please provide your name, address and contact telephone number. Some
information about your symptoms helps the doctors prioritise the order of their visits.
Cancellations: Unfortunately people fail to attend their pre-booked appointments. There is always a high demand for appointments, if you cannot attend please let us know as soon as possible, either by phoning the surgery, or by using our text cancellation service on 07889026561. Please include your full name, D.O.B and the time and date of appointment
in your text.
Out of Hours: If you need a doctor out of hours please telephone 01543 440800 or 0300 7900 247, your call will be transferred to a
call centre where your problem will be assessed.
How to Book an Appointment
In order to provide the best possible care it is helpful to know what your appointment is for so, if you feel able, please tell the receptionist when booking.
Online: A convenient way for our patients to book a non-urgent appointment with a doctor, or request a repeat prescription, is online at www.patient.co.uk. Please visit the surgery and ask a receptionist to register you for this service.
Over the Phone: For an appointment at our Lichfield practice, please telephone from 8am– 6.30pm Monday to Friday and, for an appointment at our Whittington practice, please call from 8am– 12.30pm Monday to Friday.
The demand for appointments varies from day to day and we receive a high volume of calls during the morning so, if you require an advance pre-bookable appointment or test results, please call after 11am.
Please also note that we are unable to take prescription requests over the telephone.
At the Surgery: The Lichfield surgery is open Monday to Friday between 8am and 6.30 pm, you can request an appointment by visiting the surgery during these times and asking a member of our receptionist team to help you.
You can also submit your repeat prescription requests at the surgery, these will be processed within two working days and will be available for collection from 12.30pm.
Practice Nurse Appointments
The Practice employs a team of nursing sisters who run the practice treatment rooms, they provide a wide range of services such as:
- Blood tests: Available Monday-Friday before 12.30pm and also Wednesday and Friday afternoons before 4.30pm. If you have been told you need a fasting blood test please mention this when booking your appointment.
- Blood Pressure checks: Simple blood pressure checks are available at any time with a nurse. However, if you have been invited to attend a Hypertension review there is a specialist clinic on Monday between 2– 4pm; please inform the receptionist if you have received a letter to attend.
- Heart/CHD reviews: Reviews can be done at any time but we encourage you to attend our specialist Heart Clinic on Thursdays between 2– 4pm.
- Diabetic Checks: Available Monday-Friday before 12.30pm and also Wednesday and Friday afternoons before 4.30pm.
Our nursing team also provide services such as:
Ear syringing, Asthma checks, COPD reviews, Dressings, Swabs, Smear tests (requires a letter of invitation) and Spirometry tests.
- Smoking Cessation: The practice employ specially trained nurses who provide a complete stop smoking service.
- Contraception and Sexual Health: Dr Wakeman provides a specialist contraception clinic at the Lichfield practice; you can also make an appointment with one of our ANP’s or Doctors at any time for contraception advice.
- Travel Vaccinations: The Lichfield practice is a registered Yellow Fever Centre. Patients can check what vaccinations they need for their travels by completing a holiday form two weeks prior to travel.