This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

tempSickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Click here to view the Government website for information about Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

If you have attended a hospital and need a Fit Note then the consultant who saw you must issue you with a Fit Note certificate to cover the anticipated need for time off work. If a continuation Fit Note is needed then a patient needs to contact the consultants secretary to organise a further certificate. Under the new hospital standard contract which came into force on 1 April 2017, it sets new requirements to reduce inappropriate bureaucratic workload to GP Surgeries. Therefore all NHS organisations have signed up to this new contract. While we appreciate that these contractual requirements are fairly new and may take some time to embed, we ask for your understanding that GP's are unable to issue Fit Notes on behalf of consultants and that you should contact your consultant for further notes.

GP's do not provide sickness certificates for school children. Please click here for more information.

If you require a doctor’s sickness certificate, please telephone 01543 440819 to book an appointment to see the doctor.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website